View Single Post
Old 06-26-07, 05:22 PM
tpelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Clydest of the Clydes

I don't know why I thought of this - maybe the recent threads about forks and wheels able to bear the weight of a Clyde - but here goes:

A couple of years ago I was working out of town at a new and very large distribution center under construction. Most contractors working there actually bought golf carts to haul their crews and parts around. The place was huge - somebody told me that, if you stood it on end, it would be 400 ft taller than the Empire State Building. Anyway, one of the guys working there was just seriously obese. He was close to 7' tall, but extremely overweight - I'd guess him at 400 to 450 lbs easy. One of his thighs was as big around as my waist, and I'm built like an NFL defensive lineman.

Anyway, one day this guy comes in with this cruiser style bike that he bought at a yard sale - single speed, coaster brake, cruiser bars, basket on the handlebars, etc., and starts to use it to get around the building. Anyway, I'm thinking "I wonder how long this is gonna last?"

Well, it lasted about two weeks. One Monday I came in after a weekend home, and the poor cruiser was pushed over into the corner in a heap - the back wheel had collapsed!

I've heard people refer to wheels being "Tacoed", well, that's exactly what this wheel looked like - a taco.

Like I said, I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up. I mean, I'm no lightweight myself. I go 6' - 2-1/2" and weigh (as of 7:00 AM this morning) 265 lbs. Dang, I gained 10 pounds this weekend with all the junk I ate at two anniversary parties - my wife and I celebrated 29 years. I'd be out right now trying to ride it back off except it's pouring down rain and lightning is striking all over the place. I know how hard it is to lose it and keep it off.

I honestly felt bad for the guy, but, you know, every time you saw this guy he was drinking a Coke and eating a glazed donut. I would never have believed, though, that a wheel would fold up under somebody like that - warp out of shape, pop a spoke, or something, but never totally structurally fail! Had to see it to believe it.