Old 06-27-07, 04:05 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CityMtnBiker
1) I want disc brakes, but some reviews I've read of the Trek 4300 Disc have me considering a higher price range -- Trek 6000 at $660. (For some reason, the Trek 5000 doesn't have discs.) In your experience, is it worth spending the extra cash that I'm hesitant to spend? Is the 6000 that much better? Will I wish I had spent extra on the 6000 over the 4300 disc if I don't?
The 6000 is a better bike. You will not be able to bring the 4300 up to 6000 spec as cheaply as you would if you just bought the 6000 outright. (unless you've achieved "God" status on eBay and really know what you're looking at.)
2) Does it ever make sense to buy a new bike KNOWING that I plan to upgrade one or several components? Isn't it usually cheaper to buy a better bike upfront than to buy components and add them (even doing the labor myself) later?
Everybody does it. Even if you buy the better bike upfront, there's always little tweaks that every rider's "gotta have".
3) I've heard some people compare the Trek 6000 to the Fisher Piranha, and I don't think I've heard anything about the Piranha yet (except that Fisher's are for people that are taller than me... I'm 5'11" and 170 lbs.). If you guys have strong feelings about Trek v. Fisher (or any other comparable bike), I'd love to here your ideas. Essentially, I'm looking for bang for the buck.
Trek and Gary Fisher are made by the same company (Trek) There are some feel differences between the two, test ride before you make any decision.
Thanks for your help!
No problem