I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by larryfeltonj
Congratulations! Your response has just summed up "Why I'm a vehicular cyclist" better than I could ever have done it.

In my own view cyclists are a legitimate part of the traffic flow. In order to operate safely in traffic there are many skills involved, from not falling over (I think most cyclists above four years old can handle that one), to how to pass, change lanes, make left turns, signal intention to other drivers, and what the various signs and traffic signals signify. In addition to those things common to drivers of all vehicles there are a few skills particular to cyclists (how to not get squeezed into the curb in a narrow lane, how to share a lane on a right turn).

Do you think that cycling is such a trivial activity that it should be assumed that even an untrained child can do it?
It ain't rocket science either. How 'bout cutting to the chase about this training/testing/licensing scheme for untrained children and untrained adults that you think is such a good idea? What training program in specific did you have in mind? Surprise me!