Old 06-29-07, 03:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I have had interstection encounters on a regular basis. Lots of drivers don't see me. A common occurrence is at a 4-way stop and the vehicle is to my right. I'm partially blocked from view by their pillar, but also they aren't really looking for me. They slow at the stop, then keep going. I've anticipated this and either ring a bell, or yell, or just avoid them.

Last week I was heading west, then turned left (south), and as I exited the intersection, I had to pass in front of a car that had been heading east, and was turning right (south, like me) in a separated lane. The driver was looking north for southbound traffic, and I could see she wasn't noticing me She also was holding a phone to her ear. As I passed in front of her she started forward and I yelled "hey" as I braked. She looked startled, made a sort of apologetic grimace, but kept going, cutting me off.

I caught up with her a couple of lights later and came around the car to her door to yell at her, just to imprint the episode in her memory for future utility. She made like she was dialing 911 or something.

I continually monitor drivers for this kind of behaviour because I know they don't always see bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
inters.jpg (5.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by cooker; 06-29-07 at 03:16 PM.