View Single Post
Old 06-30-07, 02:43 PM
raven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tire size 26X 1.25 for heavy tandem?

I am an experienced cyclist but new to tandems this year, and I have to say I have really enjoyed sharing cycling with my family.

Here is my long question:

I am riding a KHS Alite (40 pounds?) that is pretty heavily loaded. Up front we have a child carrier on teh top tube + my son (37+ pounds together), me (175), my wife (125), and my 6 year old on an adams out the back (he weighs 47 pounds and the adams feels like it weighs at least the same. Maybe we are not that heavy in the realm of tandems.

The KHS comes with 1.75 tires that we have been riding. Today I tried some 2.0 slicks (moby bites) that I had in teh garage. I am thinking of throwing some higher pressure skinny slicks (IRC smoothies at 95 PSI) on the bike, but because I am carrying my children I am nervous about the load on the tires.

Does anyone have experience with running thinner tires with heavy loads? I am also considering picking up some 1.4 Ritchey tom slicks or IRC metro duros instead of the smoothies, but I figured If I have the smoothies and they would work, why not use them.

Cheers in advance for your advice.

CW