Old 07-02-07, 11:15 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
It seems like the debate over whether the iBike is a poor man's wind tunnel is kind of irrelevant. If your goal is to improve your TTing, shouldn't you experiment with different positions and use the one that allows you to produce the most power over the TT period, regardless of aerodynamics?? Seems like some positions may indeed be more aero, but may cause you to lose power — probably not the goal of such an exercise. Anyone want to set me straight on this?
Dave Zabriskie can produce more power at LT with his hands on the hoods or on the drops than he does in his TT position. However, he reduces his CdA so much in his TT position that the power loss is overcome.

I think, if you have a powermeter, you'd find that you are capable of producing the most power with your hands on the hoods or tops, but you'll go faster with less power in the drops.

@ Snizzle Frizzle - Hit your local velodrome. They probably have some off-peak hours that they'd open up the track for you, I'd imagine. Go 10 laps or so in each position, gradually narrowing it down.