Old 07-06-07, 07:00 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modern BB question. Chain rings seem too close?

I took my Voyageur frame in to get a nice cartridge BB installed. I guess there are no threaded spindles left out there, but no biggy I had some crank bolts around that fit. Anyways, I got the arms all tightened up, and the left side sticks out further than the right, like the spindle is backwards. The small ring is about 1/8" or possibly a tiny bit less from the chain stay. Can one of these newer style spindles be installed backwards, so that the longer side is on the wrong side? Should I not sweat it? The crank arm end to chainstay clearance is about the same as other bikes I have, just the center seems too close. Both ends of the crank arms are the same distance from the stays as well. For what's worth, the bike is an 81 Voyageur with stock Super Maxy cranks. It's going to bother the crap out of me, unless someone can tell me different. This is the second time it's been in this shop. The first time I didn't bring the crank with me, and the ends of the spindle were too short to keep the chainring off the frame.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 07-06-07 at 07:10 PM.