atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i started wearing a helmet

not for the 'traditional' reasons. and not because i experienced some life-altering close call.

i'm doing it for liability reasons. to explain;
- there is a dekalb county sheriff's deputy who has a real hard-on for roadies....i don't want to give him one more reason to be a d&^k. what sucks, is he doesn't know the ILCS regarding cycling very well. (there's a new bill on the governer's desk that will make things much safer for us.......if the word gets out).

- cagers are getting more brazen about their displeasure for roadies. twice, a cager tried to pass me when there were on-coming cars. one was a semi. both times, oncoming traffic had to swerve onto the should to avoid being hit. and, yes, both times, those who had to swerve flipped me off. [kind of funny if you ignore the whole, almost getting killed part]

- with all of these close calls, i don't want my [or the cager's] insurance companies looking for a reason not to pay up....so its not because of my fear of injury....its my fear of lack of culpability/liability on the part of others.

i hate wearing a helmet....but i'm afraid not to now.