Thread: Paint it Black
View Single Post
Old 07-07-07, 05:16 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I would like to be able to go into "the Stealth mode" at the flick of a switch (by turning my lights off).
The lights are not blinking turn indicators, but I plan to add another set of amber lights which will blink.
The new lights will be mounted on a 24" by 6"piece of 1/4" aircraft plywood, which I bolted to the bottom of the front fairing support , yesterday.

I had bad experience with plywood in the past, so this time I am using aircraft plywood, and it is bolted to the fiberglass, not laminated to it.

The disc wheel covers are polyethylene , so they will remain white. Polyethylene plastic can not be painted (the paint will flake off).

I have replaced the 12 volt 12 amp/hour battery with a 12v 7ah battery, which saves about 5 pounds.

In this photo, you can see the way it WAS. The new battery is smaller. In this photo you can see the bungee cords holding the battery down, but the flange on the right side is warped upward under the squeezing action of the bungee cords. That was partly caused by the fact that I only made the flanges two layers of 'glass thick at first, spraypainted, and then added more glass. The spray paint caused the layers of fiberglass to peel apart, which in the world of fiberglass is known as "delamination".