View Single Post
Old 07-09-07, 01:17 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I found this thread searching for one of those "LBS says it's too old, pushing new bike" threads... the reason is I want to make a point. I have been working in the business for a few months now... 2 cases today..

1. I picked a rear derailleur out of the metal recycling bin yesterday and brought it home where I spent 2 hours in 2 chunks over the evening rebuilding it and cleaning every little bit and piece... it's a damn nice derailleur and it seems to work fine now but it took a lot of work and penetrating oil, and triflow and degreaser and water pressure... the labour cost would have been $100, $50 pre hour (the LBS has to pay overhead and employees etc..) makes a lot more sense to sell them a new derailleur for half the price.

2. I was overhauling a wheel today and after 5 minutes stopped and called the customer and left a message saying I wasn't working on their wheel further because I thought their money would be better spent on a new wheel... They need a hub overhaul ($20 labour plus parts) and the wheel true/retension (again $20)... the rim was in bad shape and the spoke tension would have had to have been to variable to get it in acceptable form... better to spend $60-75 on a new wheel than $55 for one that isn't going to last more than a few months because the tension is screwed.

A lady brought her scwhinn traveller in which she stored outdoor by the coast. The 3 month old tires were totally cracked, the seatpost completely seized. I said we should recommend she buy a new bike but she decided to go ahead and spend MORE to have the bike in ridable shape. An amount should could have spent to get a bike in way better shape off craigslist or something.

I know sometimes they just push new bikes without really taking into account what you have but when someone comes in and want to replace the fork and wheel on their 70s bike boom hi-tensile POS you have to tell them that it would cost less to buy another similar bike than to get theirs in riding shape. It's just honesty... We love old bikes and I jump at the chance to work on nice early MTBs and old road bikes, but sometimes the most economical choice is a new bike and this is in the customers best interest not ours since we would make more getting their bike in rideable shape than by selling them a new one.