View Single Post
Old 07-09-07, 07:24 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have to say, reading about the experiences some of you have gone through has really helped me see things through different eyes.

I semi-led (I didn't start off leading because I'd never been over the course, but as soon as I figured out where we were going, the person leading was happy, nay, ANXIOUS for me to lead ) another group ride yesterday (with 6 people). One rider was an Athena, who has logged around 500 miles on her bike. She is planning on going on next week's STP, doing a two day version. Although she is quite fit (she does rowing), she was not very fast, and her knees were beginning to bother her by the end. I have discovered that if left to myself, and with a strong, fast rider, I am perfectly capable of speeds I would have found astonishing not more than a year ago. But the point of the group rides has been to meet people, and to encourage them in cycling more. I find it shocking that you would go on group rides advertised as for beginners, and then to be left to fend for yourselves. It's one thing for me to be left by myself (I'm pretty self-sufficient), but I would never abandon another rider, especially one who was not looking all that well.

Keep reminding, everyone. I don't want to turn into an uncaring ride leader , and your stories are a good way to keep me thinking.

East Hill