View Single Post
Old 07-12-07, 07:10 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ningnangnong
"Let the train take the strain" was the advertising slogan. I bloody wish!

As I said, it really does narrow down my choices for a folder, which is a pain as I hadn't set my heart on a Brompton.

If I want a Brompton, I need to order by the end of this week. I had been thinking about a Birdy, Mu SL and Curve SL among others

Any additional advice on viable alternatives?
Curious ... where are you writing from?

You have not written so explicitly; but I assume that you want to take your bike on these crowded trains. Although, it would be the case that you want to use your bike to avoid these crowded trains.

Keeping things simple for the moment, assuming that you want to bring the bike onto the train, and restricting yourself to just the Birdy and Brompton, the Birdy is a much better ride but bigger/slower fold. Moreover, the Brompton is better at carrying stuff and can be rolled while folded with the addition of some "roller wheels".

The Dahon Curve has its own unique properties ... less expensive in the US, excellent carrying capacity, bigger fold than the Brompton, best support network in the US out of the three. I have not ridden one; but others seem to like it. Regarding the Mu, I don't see how you can bring a 20" folder on those trains.

The Downtube Mini is a viable option here in the states. But my understanding is that shipping it overseas is expensive.

Others have discussed the Strida, A-bike, and a few other teeny folders. I know little about them; but my understanding is that they might be appropriate for you.

If the bike works for you ergonomically, then the Brompton seems to be the obvious choice for a utilitarian bike.

Now if you are getting a bike to avoid the train ... well, we can save that for another post.