Thread: "B" Screw?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-07, 06:41 PM
BloomingCyclist
It Takes Two

Bikes: 1973 Chiappini w/ Campy New Record, 2004 Kestrel Talon w/ Campy Chorus, 2006 Santana Team Niobium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like to tinker, you may be able to get the derailleur to work if you shorten the chain so that the idler pulley cage is rotated enough so when on the large rear cog the idler wheel cage is rotated so that it doesn't hit the cog. Of course, this may have alread been done to allow your derailleur to work with a 30 tooth rear cog. If you do shorten the chain you will likely lose the ability to be in your front large ring and your large 32 rear but I don't think you use that cross-chain combination anyway. I did this for many years on my old single to make an 1970's Campy Nuovo Record derailleur work with a 14 - 28 freewheel when it wasn't supposed to work with larger than a 26.

I agree that an XT or XTR derailleur will work well. I don't think the official specification for the current ones is for anything larger than a 30 but they obviously exceed that - I have a 11 - 34 with the previous XTR and counselguy has a 11-34 with the current XTR.

Bloomington, IN