darkwing7

Bikes: Specialized Transition Comp 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focusing training on one discipline?

Hi everyone,
It's my first year seriously training to do a triathlon, and so far the races I planned to do this yr have to be cancelled due to family vacation plans in august. So I get to mess around the rest of the summer. I was thinking of switching from my "do all three together" in a week approach to the "focus on one thing at a time" per week approach, but I don't know if that's going to throw me really "off training." I feel after reading triathlete mag and looking at other people's training blogs that most people do the "all three" approach, but it seems like my improvement is moving pretty slowly this way. I think this approach works for most people because they used to be varsity runners/swimmers in school and have a good number of years of pure training in at least one discipline. I've never been on a varsity team.

If anyone has tried the "focus on one" approach please let me know what you think and whether it would be good for someone like me. I know that if I dont get in the pool for 4 days straight I feel really weird and lose the feel for the water. But I get it back pretty quickly. Never went more than 4 days without swimming though...