Old 07-13-07, 04:07 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1978 Eisentraut "A," mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 1961 Bianchi Competizione (an Eroica bike), 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa (also an Eroica bike)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mirage1
If your parents don't decide they want to change, you can't make it happen for them.
That's the main point. If I follow you, fillthecup, you are pondering the wisdom of staging some sort of intervention.

FWIW, I say: Do it. I think it is essential that you take your best shot. I say this not so much for your parents, but for you. It is possible, even likely, that nothing you do or say will motivate them sufficiently, even if you stage the perfect intervention and do everything right. You can't control that. What you can control is how you conduct yourself now and set yourself up, emotionally, for the future. If you do nothing, you will almost certainly have to grapple with guilt feelings for not having done "more," and always wondered if perhaps could have saved them from themselves. So do it to remove those issues from your future life.

I have zero clue how to put together an intervention so as to maximize the chances of success, so I'll leave that to other Foosters and your research. Good luck. I hope your parents can see past their fears and accept this wonderful gift from their children.