Old 07-13-07, 11:10 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gpelpel
I also like the Grizzly Century in North Fork (South of Yosemite) in early October but it involves more climbing.
The Sierra Fall Century out of Mammoth Lakes is a much better ride. The scenery is much more spectacular, the vistas and open roads are fantastic, and it is better supported. Maybe a little less climbing than The Grizzly, but that's not a drawback to me, as you can still figure on about 8,000' or so.

I liked the Grizzly well enough, but it has a serious drawback IMO. I do not like the "stub" route that goes up and then back, essentially a 10 mile climb for nothing. I much prefer a loop route on my rides, and were I to do The Grizzly again I'd opt for the 80 mile "bail out" route, just to avoid that senseless climb. The other thing that makes it a lesser ride (for me) is the lack of scenery. For the most part it is just riding in a pine forest, with one (admittedly wonderful) vista at the lunch stop.

The Sierra Fall Century is a full, honest loop, and petty much 100 miles of stunning geology to wonder at. It has three major climbs that rise over 8,000' in elevation, and the descents are phenomenal.

I think the Sierra Fall Century is the best century this state has to offer. At least, I've yet to ride a better one.

S. J. Perelman