View Single Post
Old 07-14-07, 04:07 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A touring bike like the LHT is something I definitely want to have, but I can't see getting much chance to really use one before I retire in five years, so that one will most likely not be the choice this time.

I do want to try out a fixie, but if that urge really becomes strong, I could make one from one of the old steel frames in my shed. So the Steamroller is probably not going to be the one.

If MTB racing was something I wanted to dedicate myself to, a full suspension bike would be a high priority. That is the only way my back would allow me to continue to race But I now know what I always suspected, I just don't have the burning desire to compete. I also have an aversion to highly complex things that need a lot of maintenance and quickly become outdated. So that's another type of bike that I probably won't choose to buy.

I know I'll get another fast road bike some day. But I'm not sure I'm ready to replace Ribby with some plastic or beer can bike. I'm also not sure I'm ready to go with brifters. I know a lighter wheelset would give my Bridgestone a new lease on life. And I am just so comfortable on that bike. But I'm not ruling out a new road bike. It could still be the way I go, especially if the budget can be high enough to build that Salsa Primera with Rival components.

Despite Stapfam's advice to the contrary, if I get a new MTB, it will almost certainly be a steel framed 29er. I love the way they roll over obstacles and they just look so funky. An El Mariachi with a good suspension fork would be really sweet for the kind of offroad riding I like to do.

If I were making the choice today, I would probably go for the Cross-Check. I love the versatility of that bike. Just by changing a few parts, it can take on very different personalities. I like making bikes into different kinds of bikes.