Old 07-15-07, 08:46 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ahorner1946
Jur,
"I found an excellent foolproof way to remove them using a machine clamp and a socket." Please share with us!

Al
This is a toolmaker's clamp:

It has the ability to apply enormous force - needed for getting a cotter pin out.

Loosen the nut of the cotter pin until it is flush with the end of the threads, to present a unified surface for applying pressure to. Place a socket over the head part of the cotter pin so force can be applied via the socket to the crank. Apply the clamp on one side to the unified surface of the nut/threads, and on the other side the socket. Close the clamp up as much as it will go, and then apply the force by tightening it using the outer clamp screw. The cotter will suddenly pop loose just when you think something is going to break.

If you have a cotter that is not going to budge, then the clamp will mushroom the thread end until the nut is flush on the crank again. Tough luck. Take the nut off. Get the drill.

Installing a cotter also uses the clamp, the nut is covered with the socket this time and force applied to the head end. Give it heaps. But watch it or you'll mushroom the head end.

[edit]You may be tempted to use a G-clamp instead. I broke one before I remembered I had a toolmaker's clamp.