Old 06-01-04, 07:06 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Cyclist Killed in Calvin's Challenge

This is probably a little late for me to report this, but on May 1st, a 54 year old Akron, Ohio man was struck and killed by a motorist while competing in the Dayton Cycling Club's Calvin's 12hr Challenge endurance event in Springfield, OH.

I didn't find out about this until today when I received my June newsletter in the mail, having a minor cycling accident myself and not having been in contact with club members in a couple of months. I didn't know this person, not having participated in this event myself, but I was deeply saddened, and somewhat angry by it. Cars suck!!!

It seens that the motorist was in a hurry (aren't they always?) and he or she crossed a double-yellow line and passed a group of cyclists turning left, killing one participant but not injuring any others. As of this writing the results of the police investigation have been turned over to the prosecutor's office. The driver was not yet cited pending the results. The race was canceled after the incident.

Calvin's Challenge is perhaps the best-known 12hr endurance event in the USA. Many RAAM riders use this event as a prelude the the Race Across America.

www.daytoncyclingclub.org.