Old 07-22-07, 11:58 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by All American 6
When I see Linear pull, I think of Wal Mart brand bikes.
Incredibly, WallyWorld does sell bikes with caliper brakes... who knew?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5751048

Which brake is more desirable?
I believe the question you're looking for here is, "Which brake is more appropriate for a triplet".

A. Cantilevers are the default and more appropriate brake choice for a triplet with or without a supplemental drag brake... the latter depending on your total loaded triplet's weight and where you'll be riding, i.e., hilly terrain vs. flat-lands. Cantilever brakes and linear-pull more specifically get the nod over calipers for their greater stopping force as well as their ability to handle larger diameter tires. The two negatives with linear pulls are: 1. the need for 'Travel Agent' cable-pull modifiers when using them with STI or Ergo levers and, 2. the tendency for linear pull brakes to squeal if they don't have the right compound for a given rim or if the arms or forks prove to be a bit flexy.

The alternative set-up for teams that are looking for a "sportier" brakes would be a front caliper mated to a rear disc; however, the use of the disc precludes the installation of a drum brake. There are obviously several other configuration options to include fitting calipers front & rear with or without a supplemental hub brake; however, they all require some degree of predicting the future and how the triplet will be used with regard to rider weights and riding destinations. Clearly, you don't want to back yourself into a corner by outfitting a triplet with brakes that could prove to be marginal down the road or limit tire size.

Now, if this was a discussion about high-performance and custom tandems for lightweight teams instead of triplets, dual pivot and differential calipers are an outstanding choice... which is why both of our road tandems came fitted with them, albeit one is now sporting a front caliper & rear disc.

Santana's catalog does show pictures of people riding Co-Motion tandems!)
Yes, it does. Santana does an outstanding job of selling the tandem lifestyle and, in additional to tandems they also are in the tandem touring business... which is where all those great looking photos of teams out riding were taken. So, given that they are just as interested in demonstrating how their tandems are the best choice for any potential tandem buyer, they also want to show that a Santana Tandem Tour is a place where anyone with any brand of tandem is welcome.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 07-22-07 at 06:02 PM.