View Single Post
Old 07-23-07, 02:39 PM
plainsdrifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'd love to see Levi launch an early attack on Stage 16, say on the Marie Blanque.

Here's my thought process:

1) Contador has to take time from Rasmussen on Stage 16 to have a realistic chance to win the TDF.

2) Levi is highly enoughed placed that gaining a few minutes could give him a shot at Yellow, and therefore would have to be respected by Rabobank.

3) So an attack by Levi puts Rasmussen and Rabobank under pressure, improving Cantador's chances of riding away from Rasmussen on the Aubisque.

4) If it works Levi gets on the podium, or outside possibility wins, and might pick up a stage.

5) If it doesn't work, he drops down from 4th which is no BFD.

The Marie Blanque has a 13% section which would be a great place to attack. He could even try going on an earlier climb, ala Landis.

I don't think Levi will necessarily do this. Not sure he's got the horses to pull it off, and I think he'll ride conservatively to protect his standing on GC, but wouldn't it be a great strategy?
He's been saying that he would make his move in the Pyrenees so he'd better give it a shot. If he totally blows up, who cares, at least he went down fighting and I think he would gain alot of respect.

If he chooses to ride conservatively to protect his standing on GC, so be it, but with his past placings in the Tour being 13, 6, 9, and 8 you gotta think he'll go for it. Don't forget that he's 33 yrs old.