Old 07-23-07, 10:03 PM
Clownbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pm124
In my opinion, the Birdy is more durable. It also doesn't swing open as the Dahons do, and there is no magnetic latch to break. The ride is far superior; it takes up road vibration very well, and is comfortable on 100 mile rides. However, this is an even fancier bike than the Dahon, and as the Captain points out, you might be even more afraid to use it.

When I say fancier, I mean that the frame is hand crafted by seasoned frame builders and the wheels are hand built. However, I find the Capreo group-o used on the Birdy to be inferior to the SRAM X9/American Classic used on the Dahon. This difference in componentry accounts for the difference in weight. The Japanese Dura Ace-equipped Birdies are probably lighter than the Dahon! Also, some on the Birdy forum (groups.yahoo.com) have them down to sub-8Kg, but those are the 1990s era Birdy frames that hadn't been lugged for luggage.

With respect to carrying capacity, it rocks. Provided you are willing to spend cash on Orlieb panniers, it's truely a great touring bike. Check out the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdy_%28bicycle%29
It's not so much that it's 'fancy' as that it's truly unique. If it was already on it's way to beaterdom i'd have no qualms.

Before going digital, I mostly used Leica M-Series cameras and optics. Rain, snow, dust storm, backpacking, boating, if I was there, I was taking photos. Not exactly cheap gear, but beautifully crafted and the best for the job. I also had a very rare 30's black Model F complete outfit. When I showed it to my Leica guru with film in it, expressing a desire to use it, he practically slapped me silly for being an idiot. It's now part of a large collection belonging to someone else.

I know the XX is not exactly in the same caliber, but there is something about respecting the care and art in producing a special limited edition work.

Thinking back on the Leicas, maybe there's something subliminal going on as well in regards to the Birdy.