View Single Post
Old 07-24-07, 08:19 AM
VTRoadie
Weekend Warrior

Bikes: 06 K2 Mach 2.0 (105 Grouppo), 04 Something Rambler Hardtail (Deore/Deore XT), 03 Nirve DSX-1 (Suntour/Deore/Deore LX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A roommate of mine recently plowed into a motorcycle that was turning onto a road that was 0.25 mi from my house. It is a slow road (25mph), light traffic, not someplace people turn on and off from usually. He was thrown from his bike, shashed his helmet. Had he not had the helmet, he probably wouldn't have done so well when he landed on the granite curb.

The following week I was riding the opposite way on the same road (a mile from my house) and a car turned quickly in front of me, and I went straight into it. I landed headfirst on his hood.

Both cases I would say were places that I would be LEAST likely to wear a helmet, whereas I always wear them on long rides -- Yet all of my accidents so far (2) have been within a mile of my house.

Wear a helmet. Theres no good reason for you to yet -- but its worth the small price and annoyance to avoid being a veggie.

My list went like this (each break is probably a week apart):
Shoes ($40) - clipin
Pedals ($50) - clipin
bike computer ($20 - broke in an accident)
replacement saddle ($0, I had one I liked)
Multitool ($40?)

Front light ($30) - for night/dusk riding
Rear light ($10) - for night/dusk/dont hit me riding

bike computer (wireless, $50)
Replaced a brake caliper that was damaged in an accident with Shimano 105 ($40)
Spokes ($2)

Padded underwear ($40 - but I already had padded mountain biking shorts - but these are SOO much better)
Jersey ($50)
Spoke Wrench ($2 - that multitool gets annoying to use)
Cassette Removal Rools ($30)
Foot pump (100 psi isnt fun with a hand pump) $15 (50% off at LBS)