View Single Post
Old 07-25-07, 10:22 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
"Bio-pace" as it was marketed by Shimano was another idea that had been around for, actually, a long time. Shimano packaged it up and slapped it on a crap load of bikes and off it went. (They did the same thing with index shifting, but that actually worked) Bio-pace was supposed to work to eliminate "dead spots" in your pedal stroke. Of course, pro's and other "high performance" riders would have nothing to do with it and if you couldn't afford Dura-Ace, you certainly put some money out for a pair of proper round chainrings (or a trio if you were a mountain biker). Then people started talking about people having knee problems from riding them. I don't if that was really true, but I seem to remember (and possibly incorrectly) that Andy Pruitt said they sucked, so...they sucked. Suntour did have a version of Bio-pace for their bikes, but I do not recollect what it's name was. It pretty much silently disappeared right around the time everything went to eight speed. So, there you have it in a nutshell.