View Single Post
Old 07-26-07, 10:40 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtn3833
I'm just getting back into biking. I've purchased a Trek 830 Antelope, I figure if cycling sticks I can upgrade, but I know Trek is a good name and I enjoy this bike.
Good solid bike. What are you using it to do? Commute? Recreational riding? Trails?

My questions are on the accessories. I see a lot things offered by Bell, is that a good company? I like a $15 wireless 15 function speedometer they offer. They also have some nicely priced helmets. I don't have a lot of money to spend on state of the art stuff.
Don't waste it on the computer then. Instead, buy things that are useful. I would say a good u-lock is more useful than a computer. So is a good helmet. So are fenders if you ride in wet weather. Lots of things to buy, and unless you're training for competition (and you're not, or you wouldn't be riding that Trek 830), a computer isn't as essential as other accessories.

Is it worth it to get a 'bike kit' or cycling shorts?
A kit, only worth it if you want the look (and it would look ridiculous on a Trek 830). Jerseys and cycling shorts? Absolutely worth it. In fact, I'll take a guess that gel shorts will be a better upgrade than a gel saddle cover.