A-train

Bikes: TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newb needs help choosing a new bike

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a bike to help me get in shape and have some fun doing it (if that is in fact possible ). I'm about 5'10" 220lbs. I figure most of my riding will be on roads and paved trails with some light-duty dirt/gravel trails mixed in every once in a while. I'm looking to spend $450 max, less if possible.

After trolling these threads for quite some time to glean a bit of knowledge, I've narrowed my choice down to 3 hybrids and a "fitness" bike.

'07 Trek 7.2FX
'07 Trek 7200
- I don't think I'll need the suspension, but have seen good reviews of this bike here and on other forums.

I stopped by a local Trek specialty store, and they had the 7.2FX and 7200 on sale for $350 each. My intention was to get a test ride in, but the sales reps were busy and the only person available was a kid younger than me who kindly pointed me towards several 7200 WSD's (I'm 22 and male, btw; he was nice enough but I don't think he should be tending to prospective customers given his limited experience).

'07 Raleigh Passage 5.5
- Disc brakes seem unnecessary and the price is a bit above what I'd prefer, but specs look solid.

I plan on checking out the Raleigh some time on Saturday.

'07 Mongoose Crossway 450
- Suspension that has "lockout" ability.

This was suggested by a knowledgeable rep at a nearby Performance Bicycle Shop, who claimed the lockout frame was a feature not seen on many bikes below $1,000. The bike was $399 in store, and I noticed the Performance coupon thread on BF that would knock another $40 or so off the price if purchased online.

I plan to ride each one of these before deciding, as the feel is the most important factor (price is a close 2nd ). If anyone has experience with these bikes, has a recommendation re: specs and/or what would fit my needs best, your input would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy request as a first post, but I'd like to have as much info as possible before investing what I consider to be a substantial amount of money.

Thanks in advance,
Adam