View Single Post
Old 07-29-07, 04:25 AM
Trevor98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Klöden's reaction to recent doping

Cycling News has a blurb about Klöden reacting to doping accusations against his teammates this year (more than just Vino in the TdF). He admits to fearing mere accusations and posits that Kessler and Vino would have to be dumb to dope in the ways they are accused of doping knowing that they will face doping controls.

Cycling News Article

I have said regarding similar other cases that calling riders doping in such a manner that they absolutely will get caught (homologous blood doping) dumb is an insult to dumb people everywhere. We are not talking about garden variety stupidity here but a lack of intelligence akin to simple insects.

Klöden compares these accused doping practices to "..when someone sees a radar control in an 80 kmh zone and races through at 150 kmh." An interesting analogy that acknowledges that certain doping practices will get a rider caught. With at least some effective doping methods being undetectable a rider would have to be beyond stupid to use a method that is sure to get them caught (homologous blood doping).

Klöden also questions whether the anti-doping system is being manipulated in the Grand Tour Organizer vs. ProTour fight. I find that a little too conspiracy theory-esque for my tastes but it could make for an interesting discussion.

I'm just wondering what other peoples reactions to Klöden are,