genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
First off it does not matter if you are a motorist or a cyclist we all like roads that are comfortable to drive/ride on. We all like direct routes but will go out of our way to avoid things that are uncomfortable. Motorist here will generally choose a route that is double the distance and no better time wise then a direct route because it is less aggravating or more “comfortable.” And I don’t think cyclists are much different we differ in the detail what we like to avoid but the general principles are the same.

While the main principals of Vehicular Cycling should be concerned about how to ride safely in any conditions those of us involved locally should be concerned about road traits that make roads more comfortable for cyclists. Besides the obvious of liking low traffic roads I have noticed that roads that have extra width to allow cyclists to avoid motorists or have frequent passing opportunities so motorists can avoid cyclists plus a low frequency of angst or aggressive drivers seem to score high on the more comfortable routes for cyclists.

I have also noticed that cyclist are more inclined to take a longer route that arcs then a route that goes out and back to avoid some unpleasantness. So some perception of directness is important but it is not a pure mathematical calculation.

Here is a catch-22. Cyclists are also known to take unpleasent routes in order to get to a particularly good cycling route.... such as riding through an industrial area to get to a good path or known good road with few intersections such as an airport or river road.

They are also known to extend a ride in such a manner as to incur more distance for the sheer pleasure of riding the bike.

I myself used to go 35 miles out of my way to a college actually only 5 miles away.