Old 06-08-04, 07:12 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The previous poster had very good advice. I too have a bad back and other assorted and sundry health problems. I just purchased a Rans Tailwind which is a "compact long wheelbase" bike. The ride is fantastic. No more pain anywhere. I'm kicking myself that I didn't switch to a recumbent years ago. Currently I'm about as fast as I was on my aluminum road bike and as I get into condition the speeds will continue to improve. I've even started limited commuting to work, something I could not do on the road bike, at least not in any degree of comfort. As you mught imagine there are many different types and styles of bikes. After all was said and done I found myself with two basic choices, short wheelbase or long wheelbase. The short wheelbase bikes turn sharper and quicker but can give a bit harsher ride on rough roads. The long wheelbase bikes have a larger turning radius but the ride is "like that of a Lincoln Town Car". I have no problems dealing with traffic and turning corners during my commute. I'm in my second week of riding with somewhere around 75 miles on the odometer. I do agree that it takes about a week of riding, or about 50 miles to start to feel comfortable and get nice wobble-free starts. It took me about 5 minutes to learn to wobble around a nearly empty parking lot the first time I got on a recumbent. The biggest thing is learning to really relax and totally forget about everything you've learned as a roadie, except for spinning. Find a good knowledgeable dealer. You really need to ride to make the right choice. The seats on most recumbents are fully adjustable as to position and the degree of lean, at least that is the case on my Tailwind and the other Rans bikes. Since I can no longer drive to work my family is forced to take me, at the tune of about 76 miles a day. Commuting half way made a lot of sense with gas $2.00 a gallon. The time factor prevents me from going to a full commute. The wife knew I liked riding and knew I was unable to ride the road bike any longer. So the money was not too big an issue with her. Besides she had just added another miniature horse to our herd. Since I didn't complain about the critter, she didn't complain about the bike. Good luck and have fun shopping!

'bent Brian