Old 07-30-07, 08:41 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I now have over 3000 miles on my Yellow and quite a few on the monocoque (no odometer installed). I would have to say that the major downsides are: 1) the new chain catch mechanism doesn't catch the chain as well as the old one; and 2) black anodized parts don't make sense on a folding bike as they show scratches. There are a lot of positive details. For instance, there is a hole drilled in the bottom bracket tube. (What is that thing called?) Thus, water doesn't collect in there over time, making your bike heavier. Though removing a bottom bracket on most bikes is always satisfying for that reason.

Speaking of which, the bike is now equipped with an XTR bottom bracket, 105 cranks, and an Ultegra derailleur. The hubs are still Capreo. Since it's not my bike, the heavier Marathon Racer tires are stying. They make a bit of noise at high speeds (25-30MPH) and subjectively seem sluggish relative to the Stelvios. But they are better utility tires for NYC.

I rebuilt the stem, as it was the recalled model (Jan-June of 2006). I can't decide if it's over engineered or genius. Or not that I can't decide, but rather that I'm not smart enough to discern whether this is better done more simply. But whatever it is, it's amzingly complicated an beautiful.

My Yellow is lighter and my body is more broken in to the bike, so I am fond of it. But I have to admit that the monocoque is still more fun to ride with the sport stem and Ergon-like grips.

Having watched various people try to fold their Birdies now, I'm coming to believe that the fold requires a lot of practice at home on a soft surface. Otherwise, no serious complaints, and still a big fan.

This is a pic before the mods. A more recent pic will come with the repair of my camera:

Last edited by pm124; 07-31-07 at 08:18 AM.