View Single Post
Old 07-31-07, 08:40 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjterave
I picked up a Bianchi San Jose about a week ago, and have noticed that there's some noise by the front chainwheel while I'm pedaling. (It almost sounds like the chain is rubbing against something, but I can't figure out where the noise is coming from) I was more accustomed to sounds like this on my old mountain bike because of derailleur problems, but I figured that a single-speed bike would be far more silent.

Is this worth going back to the bike shop for or are these sorts of noises typical?

I'll bet you it is the bashring/chain guard/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that your chain is rubbing against. I have read about this issue from other San Jose owners. Do a San Jose search here and you should find it. IIRC, it's a pretty easy fix. I guess I'm lucky that my San Jose didn't have this issue.

P.S. I have bashed the bashring against some stumps and other crap while riding off road. It's held up just fine so far.