View Single Post
Old 07-31-07, 05:31 PM
wyeast
Safety Zealot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the design of the Super Doppler correctly. My assumptions are:

Both are by the same company (i.e. no reason to exaggerate one light's specs vs another, they're both advertised by the same entity) In this context, BLT advertises Super Doppler as 24,000 mcd, with a visibility of about 2500 ft. They advertise the Ultra Wazoo as 72,000 mcd with a visibility of about 3400 ft.

Both use the same type of LED (8,000mcd). The Super Doppler uses 3, the Ultra Wazoo uses 9.

The Super Doppler has all 3 pointed straight back with some sort of "lens" effect on the plastic housing, directing the light straight back.

The Ultra Wazoo has 5 pointed straight back with the remaining 4 slightly off-axis. All 9 have a "lens" effect on the plastic housing, directing the light straight back for the center 5, slightly off-axis for the remaining 4.

My own personal reference with the Flashpoint (which appears to be the same design as the Ultra Wazoo) is that at 250ft straight back, I am within the "beam" of all 5 center LED's. My assumption here is with the Super Doppler, I would be within the beam of at most 3 LEDs as that's all the unit has.

I guess my fundamental assumption is that the Super Doppler does not have a tight TIROS-type optic. That type would be a poor choice for a taillight, as there would be practically zero light visible to anyone not precisely behind the rider (or worse, the light's sagging down and dumps all the light at the ground)