Old 08-01-07, 02:29 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
Therein lies a big issue with lower cats. Cat3-4-5's have many bunch sprints. Too many. Seems like most of the guys are worrying about getting a top10 or 20 and not worrying about winning.

There are always going to be a couple of guys that can sprint 38-42mph in those cats after getting drug around steadily for an hour. If you are not one of them, then start being proactive.

"First or die trying", that should be your mantra. After a while, you'll start getting more confidence in your ability to attack and not overanalyze every situation. Your main goal should be to learn through relentless aggression, not to stagnate hanging in the pack, hoping to get another top5.

He speaketh the truth. If you are sprint challenged, you need to open up the gas as hard and as often as your body will allow during the course of the race, to break down the legs of those who might be faster than you in the finishing gallop, or to get away in general.

Now, I'm not saying launch a suicide attack and get yourself blown out the back two laps later. I'm saying that you need to get to the point where you can throw multiple attacks up the road, and if the right combination of 3 or 4 other dudes comes with you, you can make it stick to the line. Then your chances will be significantly better against 4 other guys who have put themselves in the pain cave for the last hour with you, than against 3 sprinters who haven't sniffed clean air all day.

Learning how to sprint in the pack still has it's place, obviously, but some people aren't ever going to win a field sprint, regardless of the category. I haven't quite resigned myself to that state just yet, but it's getting there. This year, I've either made the break, or blown up and been pack fill in crits. I've been places 3rd through 11th, and 28th to around 40th. No middle-high pack finishes.