View Single Post
Old 08-02-07, 05:32 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Are you kidding??? An interstate bridge collapses in a big kinda way, while it's cram packed with cars...how is it not going to be national news???

Oh, and btw... as I was falling asleep I had the radio on, and the reporter said:

"Maybe it's just our midwest inferiority complex, but when I first found out about this I thought it might only get about 14 seconds on the national news. But this has been on the news everywhere. We haven't had this kind of coverage as a state since the flood of XXXX."

So it wasn't just that me that didn't realize that this would get such huge coverage.

I have seen two towns virtually wiped out by a tornado. One was a small town in Wisconsin called Siren, one was Greensburg, KS. When the Greensburg tornado hit, I didn't think of calling my family, because it never occurred to me that they would hear about it. When they finally got hold of me, they said it was all over the news. And it was... for days.

But when Siren got wiped out, a town of similar size, the news never got past the local area.

It's not always consistent which stories get lots of coverage, and usually the places that I live are pretty "off the radar".

On another note... I couldn't figure out why I didn't hear the bridge fall, but then I realized that when I was stuck in traffic I remember thinking it was starting to Thunderstorm, but it never did. Then, course, everything happened right away, so I didn't connect the two until last night. I also wonder why they say traffic was light. I remember traffic being really slow when it happened, which means that the bridge was pretty packed.