View Single Post
Old 08-02-07, 10:25 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Do you get extra insurance when you fly with the bike? I've never owned a bike worth over $2k before or flown with any bike for that matter.
Nope. As someone else already mentioned, our homeowners policy takes care of it. Not to mention that the type of damage from flying will typically be minimal.

How do you lock up outside stores or restaurants when you are commuting or touring? I'll take the Kryptonite lock I use with my other bike...do you lock through the rear stays/rear wheel? Do thieves steal 20" wheels?
One, I don't typically lock my $2K bike on the streets. But if I have to ...

(1) pick a well lit area
(2) some bike racks can be an issue with 20" wheels ... but always have the lock going through the wheel and inside the rear triangle.
(3) use a cable to lock the front wheel
(4) the handlebar is an issue ... I don't have a good answer for that.

You might consider cable locks with alarms that work well in conjunction with a u-lock. With a little patience, one can typically find them at a reasonable price.

I'll be staying at a tower hotel and I plan to keep the bike in the trunk of my rental car rather than lug it up and down the elevator every day...what do you think of that?
I am paranoid about my Bike Friday. I would bring it up. Although, if the bike was not visible--i.e., something other than a hatchback--and I had an early morning of driving before riding, I would probably leave the bike in the trunk.

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks.
Be systematic about packing and unpacking. This minimizes the likelihood of screwing up. Moreover, by doing it the same way time and time again, the process speeds up dramatically. I can pack or unpack both bikes in 40-45 minutes without rushing.

Remember to weigh your case before flying. While the Samsonite F'Lite will almost never be caught due to being 64", most airlines do weigh the bag.

Packing some extra clothes and other soft stuff helps prevent minor damage to the bike.

-G