Old 08-02-07, 11:28 AM
dutret
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoshi
What I mean is that some people get it into their heads that they should be spinning because they heard spinning is more efficient. This may be true, but some people are just better at mashing (like Jan Ullrich). If your faster mashing a high gear at a low cadence than spinning a low gear at a high cadence, which would you choose?

What I also mean is that Tadashi has stated that he wants to be a sprinter and most sprinters run a higher gearing on the track. This means that during a race, before the sprint, you're going to have a lower cadence.
While some sprinters may choose a higher gear for a scratch race since they'll just be sitting in till the final sprint I don't think that's general practice. More importantly track sprinters more then any other cyclists have absurd spins. Leg speed is just as important as strength since a gear that will allow you to jump from a trackstand is going to require ridiculous cadence to get up to 40. Anyway sprinters don't train much for the sitting in part. They train to sprint. And that training needs to include a lot of work on leg speed.