Old 08-03-07, 07:00 AM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Yeah, once you're in halfway decent shape, the only way you're gonna be sore the next day is by doing super-endurance rides like 200miles+ or by doing high-intensity anaerobic strength workouts like sprints & intervals where you hit max-HR repeatedly.
Danno, I know that you are an authority in sports nutrition, so I'm not challenging you on this... but I would like to pick your brain for more info if you don't mind.

Is what you said above (in quotes) really true for everyone that is in shape? I consider myself to be in good condition, and I'm sore the day after all training rides, even when they're not that intense. Sometimes the soreness lingers several days. We have a lot of hills around here, and that might be part of the reason. Another reason may be that I'm not in as good shape as I thought I was.

I have noticed that, compared to my riding buddies, it takes me significantly longer to recover.

FYI - I average 225-miles per week. I do about two intense rides per week, the rest of my mileage is commuting or long, slower rides. I am 6'0, 167-lbs, with a "sprinter" type build (lots of fast-twitch leg musculature). I do long distance riding and some racing.