gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
You must have never biked in the Twin Cities- There are bike accessible bridges everywhere in that area-- including two bike/ped-only bridges very near each other. This is in the middle of the city--- not some remote river crossing- and the river is relatively narrow downtown. The MN river is another story.
You are right. That is why I asked. It reads like the Twin Cities area is more bike friendly than the DC area. Here you can stand at one end of a bridge in Alexandria and see Oxon Hill MD just a few miles away across the bridge but if you are a biker or a pedestrian you have to go maybe 20 miles to get there. This is a new bridge that they just opened, so somehow they got around whatever federal law says they have to provide bike/ped facilities. I was at a design meeting where they promised bike facilities on the bridge then at a subsequent meeting when the subject of cost came up our congressman Jim Moran said "We can reduce the cost by eliminating the bike lane." Well, I guess that is just what they did.