bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sania
I'm basically on this forum searching for information on an individual that may be of help to me. Have already posted regarding this.
Secondly, if I can be of help to any bicyclists or anything like that I would be happy to answer your questions.
Thirdly, and please don't turn your back on me, but I'm not really a bike rider but in search of information. I do however find bicyclists out on the trail and enjoy sharing the trail with others. I'm really a horseback rider but must turn to this forum to get the information I need.
I know many bike riders don't care for us horse riders and I'm sure the opposite is true too. But I feel we can respect one another and still share the trails.
I will answer questions where I can in regard to horse riders...but I am not here to "slam" anyone for what they like to do...so please do not get irritated with me for being here.
Thanks so much...
Sania

Hey I'm a cyclist and I have horses too. In fact I've been known to cycle to some of the local horse shows to help our 4-H cliub when I wans't showing myself. Our humble little farm is home to 6 saddle horses and about 30 miniatures, Wait, let me check to see if that last mini mare foaled yet!

I understand the problems that can crop up between groups on multi-use trails. Years ago in Washington State there was always a feud going on between the horse people and the hikers. I too have come across people on horseback when I was on my bike. I always yeilded to the horse traffic, waiting quietly until the last horse passed before resuming my ride. In return I would expect, no, demand the same courtesy be extended to me by cyclists If I was on horseback and encountered cyclists on the trail. As far as the organic material deposited by horses periodically I was always able to avoid it, and after all it is biodegradeable! (nature's fertilizer)

From the looks of your posting you must have had some unpleasant dealings with cyclists. Unfortunately that happens sometimes. There is no reason why multiple groups cannot share trails. I hope you can resolve any issues you may come across.

The other night I had one of the miniatures out in the front yard so I could take some pictures. The little mare promptly trotted over to my brand new recumbent and decided to "taste" the chain. After I verbally chastized her she showed her thanks by gripping the chain in her teeth and then gave it a snap! No damage done but I certainly had a good laugh. Incidentally this same horse will be a perfect angel when my son-in-law shows her. But when I show her she fiidgets, taps me on the toes with her hoof, paws, squirms, tries to eat the lead shank, etc.

'bent Brian