bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sania
My quesetion Brian is I know there's plenty of bike trails out there but how does one know whether the trail is multi-use or not? That horses are or are not allowed?
Sure wished more bikers realize that we can co-exist...and yes, there are horse people out there that have problems too. Me, I enjoy multi-use trails :-)
Sania
Sania,

Where I live we have access to trails in the metropark system. These are designated as horse/walking trails only na d some of them are just for walking only and are posted as such. No wheeled vehicles are allowed on the horse trails, INCLUDING HORSE CARTS. However for special uses you can get permission to use horse carts on the trails if you do it as part of a clinic where you reserve the horse facilities for your group.

Yes I did have several close encounters with cyclists, even as a cyclist myself. One situation comes to mind that even scares me as I think aboutit. I was grinding uphill on a city park trail in Bellingham Washington. The trails are shared with bikers and walkers, and even horses. I passed a man with two young girls, about 7 or 8 yeas old walking on the trail. They were walking three abreast and taking up the entire trail width. I was going very slowly (I was riding my road bike and that takes real finesse on trails) and announced my presence. They moved over a bit and let my by. A little farther up the trail was a blind corner, still uphill. As I rounded the corner I heard a noise and was nearly wiped out by a kamakzi mountian biker with a death wish (no offense to mountain bikers but this guy was insane, he should have been up in the woods on a logging road, not in a city park). He slammed on his brakes trying to avoid me, skidded and missed my by inches. He then started pouring it on going on down the hill. I've always wondered about those two kids and their father. That was my bad experience.

I ride a Rans Tailwind recumbent, an American Quarter Horse, and I drive a double registered AMHA/AMHR miniature horse.

"bent Brian