View Single Post
Old 08-09-07, 06:21 AM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bikes (note the plural-I am now a bike junkie) were hybrids with the straight bars and I enjoyed the heck out of them until I found a low-end vintage Fuji on the cheap ($10) at a thrift store. Two tires and some new cables later I had my first road bike. It was a tank by modern standards, but the fit was right and the ride was sweet and I haven't looked back.

Most of the people who participate in this forum seem to be proponents of newer bikes and modern gear (The right tool for the right job), but I take a different approach. While I appreciate the beauty and engineering of the new materials (read light weight) and new designs, I personally have great fun tracking down vintage lugged steel bikes from garage/estate sales, doing some light wrenching/cleaning to get them up to snuff and if I don't keep them, pass them on to someone who is looking for a bike but doesn't have the budget to buy new. But that is just me and I am definitely in the retrogrouch camp as suredly as is a gearhead who is into '70s muscle cars.

If you think a vintage bike might be an option for you, spend some time over in the Classics and Vintage forum to learn what to look for. Keep in mind there are many different levels of quality in components and materials in old bikes too. A good bike from the '80s will probably net you the best bang for the buck in terms of materials and component design. With a modest budget, used is definitely the way to go whether vintage or modern. I am always astonished at how many people buy a good bike and seldom use it, except to hang in their garage. Of course, more people buy crappy bikes and NEVER use them. The bargains and the gems are out there, buried among the Magnas, Huffys, Murrays and other Wallmart specials. Happy hunting!
-- Leon Briggs