View Single Post
Old 08-09-07, 03:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by supton
I haven't seen too many 20W (even 10W) sub-100 dollar lights either. Plenty of 1W LED headlights though.

I did the 20W halogen light from Home Depot, the Malibu spotlight. I can't tell if that's why you are looking at or not--darn work internet filters. I've been ok with the light as-is: I'm using the stock 20W bulb, which is not very directional at all. I suspect it'd be the ticket for offroad riding, as the large cone of light does work well at showing a large area. Problem is, it washes out with oncoming traffic, and there is a dark-ish spot in the center. I don't ride with a lot of traffic at night, so it hasn't been a problem. I did buy a 10W MR16, but just haven't bothered to swap it in to try yet. The bulbs are kinda pricey, at $7.29.

It's certainly worth trying for $12. I'm in the same scenario, I had some batteries already. The battery is pretty heavy, 7.5Ahr, must be like 8lb (someday I'll weigh it); but I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine for my sub-hour long bike rides. I also just carry the battery in a fannypack, so it's not weighing down the bike. I'm not sure what the light weighs, but it's not made with steel. Probably a pound.

[The wiring is a quick disconnect type of connector--Anderson Powerpole--so it shouldn't be a real problem in case of accident.]

Oh: I did post some pic's of my setup in the "Total Geek" sticky on this forum.
It's pretty easy to retrofit commercial 5 to 10 W lights with 15 or 20 W bulbs. BatterySpace sells them for around $3 each. Your run time is less, of course but it's not hard to do. Niterider sells the TrailRat or the Road Rat for around $100. If you can find them, they also sell the Sport NR50 for around $40. That one takes D cells but can be easily adapted to rechargeables. The lamp head itself is pretty good.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!