View Single Post
Old 08-10-07, 10:23 PM
zephyr

Bikes: Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two road bikes with 135 rear hub spacing. I have squandered some Shimano LX rear freehubs, 7 speed hyperglide vintage 1996, FH-M563 36 hole black. These are rather rare, but there are still some floating around. Anyway, these hubs have center to flange spacing that is several mm wider than the newer vintage 8-9-10 speed rear cassette freehubs. That's cause their 7 speed freehub body is not as wide. Mate these to Velocity Synergy asymetric 36 hole 700c wheels and 36 x 291mm 14 ga spokes for a standard 3 cross lacing, and you will get a dishless rear wheel. I just built another of these wheels a couple of weeks ago. Quite rugged, I have never broken a spoke with this setup. I am 6' 1", 187 lbs, and ride a 30 mile RT daily commute year round. I have toured on these also, and used them to ride on lousy roads in third world countries where you really, really don't want to break a spoke. I've used my spoke pressure gauge and I measure almost identical tension on both sides of the wheel.

I have no shortage of useful gears, I use 13-30 or 13-32 seven speed rear cassettes, and 24-36-46 front rings. I've used 8 speed cassettes on other bikes that had the 11 or 12 rear sprockets, but hardly ever used the micro drive sprockets, I was always in the 13, 15 or 17 tooth sprockets. 7 speed cassettes are still pretty widely available, maybe not in stores but plenty on the web.

Peterpan said "minimize DT spoke use"? I've used DT and Wheelsmith, is there a difference for us average riders that are not racing or hauling concrete? We are talking about round stainless steel spokes, straight gauge 14, nothing exotic, right?