View Single Post
Old 08-10-07, 11:33 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do all of my own maintenance. A good stand and a basic set of tools will get you started. As you progress into more in-depth work, you will have to add some tools... next thing you know, you need a larger toolbox. I take a good deal of pleasure in the fact that I know what is going on in the inner workings of the brakes, dérailleurs, hubs and bottom bracket. Once you get to know how a dérailleur works, it is easier to adjust it quickly. If a headset needs adjustment, I can take care of it in a couple of minutes, as opposed to leaving it at the shop for a week or ignoring it because the shop will take too long and thus turn a simple adjustment problem into a headset replacement at the end of the season.

I would suggest that you buy good quality tools... they will last a lifetime and are so much easier to use than a cheap imitation, which isn't really so cheap after you buy two or three of them. A good book will be helpful but I use on line resources more often when I need some guidance. The two I use most often are:

Sheldon Brown

Park Tool Repair Help

In addition to these two, if I need specific info for a certain make/model of a component, I can often download tech manuals from the manufacturers web site. This has saved my butt on a number of occasions.

I have been very satisfied with doing my own work. It is nice to know that it has been done the way I want it done. I am not at all worried that it takes me a little more time than a shop would spend on a job.

Of the five bikes in my signature, only the newest (RANS F5) was bought as a complete, new bike. The rest were built up from bare frames in my living room.