View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 03:45 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Disc brakes make wheel removal/replacement more difficult so if you have to fix a flat on your commute, rim brakes will make it easier.
No, they don't. They're actually easier because you don't have to unhook the brake / use the caliper QR. They just drop right out. As for putting them back on, I've been running a set of Avid BB7's (they also make a road bike version) on my trailbike for years and trust me it ain't hard at all.
Originally Posted by HillRider
You answered your own question. For a rear wheel, aligning the disk with slot in the caliper while placing the chain on the right cog and aligning the axle in the dropouts requires care not to bend the disc itself. It obviously can be done but not in a rush and it's a needless complication when you're late for work and it's dark and cold.
Hogwash. If you shift to the lowest cog prior to taking the wheel off, it's easy as pie to get the chain back on properly and aligning the rear disc is no harder than the front. If you're bending rotors reinstalling a wheel you have no bloody clue as to what you're doing, or are using cardboard rotors in place of the more common stainless steel.

Do you even own a disc brake bike HillRider?

That said, I use linear on my commuter as the frame is a pre-disc Hardrock and I decided against a disc optioned Surly 1x1 fork due to the generally flat terrain in town and the fact that the stoppers I have on the bike are perfectly adequate for my current needs. If I lived in an area where the hills were more of an issue and I needed the extra power I wouldn't hesitate to snag the disc tab equipped fork and mount up a BB7 in the front.