Old 06-16-04, 06:18 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dirty tiger
First off I enjoy riding my Single speed MTB but I am by no means an advanced cyclist.

To be honest I ride a bike to improve my Strength Training.

I am curious as to what kind of Weight Training the serious riders engage in:

What exercises to you use and how do you feel it affects your style of cycling.

Mahalo.
Serious rider? Not sure what you mean by that. Racer? Long Distance? Regular? Annnual mileage? Hopefully, most of the folks on the forum are "serious." I am, but I only ride about 3,500 miles per year, don't race. don't do a lot of centuries, but do ride regularly. Am I serious?

I guess resistance training depends on your goals.

1. Are you interested in doing exercises that only improve your riding? If so, you will find a lot of disagreement on this forum as to which do and don't relate directly to biking. There has been a discussion recently where some folks claim upper-body workouts are extremely beneficial, others that they put on weight, reducing speed. LA weight lifts. Also a lot of discussion and disaagreement about whether or not to do WL during riding season.

2. Are you interested in general musculature and overall bidy strength? That is my interest, and I see cycling as only one aspect of my general fitness program - strength and endurance, aerobic capacity, flexibility and body composition.

Therefore, I do a rather traditional weight lifting/strength program, including upper and lower body - i.e., bench press, squats, deads, flys, core strengthening, various back, lats, etc., etc.

I feel it improves my riding. Also, this year I have noticed a very significant increase in my quads - rather noticeably larger. I have been working on increasing my strength in riding, and am pleased at the growth. Makes my hills easier!

Others?