Old 08-14-07, 07:53 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmarkley710
We both have healthy diets. Mind you I'm using the word healthy as healthy option/society wise. Not healthy like health nut type.
I think you're humpty-dumptying here, but you have a couple hundred million potato-heads who will say you're right, so go for it. The truth, though, is that "society" doesn't know jack **** about healthy eating, so if you're using the conventional so-called wisdom as far as what constitutes a "healthy option" and what constitutes a "health nut", you've bought into a mindset that's been programmed by a marketing machine that makes a lot of money selling an unhealthy lifestyle. Healthy eating isn't a matter of popular opinion, it's a matter of biological fact -- ignore that at your peril.

As for your "health nut" label, let me remind you that your ancestors, and mine, have evolved through tens of thousands of years in which almost everybody did hard physical work all day (because they had to), and ate a modest quantity of lean and unrefined foods (because that's what they could get). If someone lived like that today, you'd no doubt sneer at them and label them as a "health nut", but those are the conditions for which our bodies are optimized. Those are the conditions that existed right up to my grandparents' time. Now in just two generations, we have a situation of caloric abundance combined with sedentary work and lifestyles. That's much, much too fast for our bodies to evolve to cope. We need to be eating and using our bodies more like our ancestors did -- once again, that's simple biological fact.

You can choose the drugs. I think that's stupid. Even the legitimate ones are trying to short-circuit biological processes that are incompletely understood at best. But it's a societal ill of ours, that we do stupid things and then hope for some technological genie to fix the problem. It never does. Solve the problem at the root; don't do the wrong thing and then go looking for technological whiz-bang to clean up the mess afterwards.