View Single Post
Old 08-15-07, 11:37 AM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
But enforcement should be done appropriately. In the case of Critical Mass, ticket the cyclists running red lights after warning them that they will be ticketed. Anything heavier-handed for a red light violation that doesn't create a great deal of danger for others is inappropriate.

Personally, I don't support allowing cyclists to run red lights; I think that law is fair. As for taking up the entire road, I think that using multiple lanes is appropriate if there is enough bicycle traffic, but in other cases there's no need to use more than a single lane. Most of the problem with the police regarding Critical Mass is that they don't enforce the traffic laws properly, and instead get all bent out of shape trying to control when and by what mode the public travels.

If the Critical Mass participants want to run red lights, they should get a parade permit. If they don't want to get a parade permit, they should obey the traffic signals that multiplex roadway access with other users, or risk ticketing.
I agree, for the most part.

I think that Critical Mass should obey the traffic laws-- after all, Critical Mass claims to be an action to demonstrate that "bikes are a part of traffic too." If the participants break the laws, they should be ticketed, although I don't think it's any more necessary to warn them that they will be ticketed than it is to warn motorists before ticketing them. If Critical Mass wants to run red lights, they should get a parade permit. Otherwise, obey the laws, or get ticketed. Same goes for the motorists along the route.

I also think that there should be a zero-tolerance policy for violence and inciting to violence. Critical Mass participants who attempt to disturb the peace or incite violence should be arrested and prosecuted. Motorists who react to Critical Mass by harming or attempting to harm Critical Mass participants should also be arrested and prosecuted.