View Single Post
Old 08-15-07, 05:24 PM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor98
Is the "Possibly" a doubt that ASO and the ProTour have a greater conflict than the legality of Unibet sponsoring a cycling team on French soil or is it a question over whether the two bodies have a conflict at all?

The cycling team is concerned that they won't find a sponsor for next year given the recent scandals and problems. An interesting and telling problem. I wonder just how big a problem finding a big enough sponsor is now.
The possibly refers to whether Amaury was, or at least felt, pressured enough by the RF to obey the law, thereby surpassing their obvious disagreements with the UCI.

There is a law, however, for a fact. In France, and Belgium if I recall correctly. If you search around the TdF and Road Racing forums, you will find my threads regarding the conflict between GT organizers and the UCI.

As for big sponsors? Big problems. One would have to be very altruistic to put up millions a year as a sponsor in hopes of escaping the possible fallout regarding doping. But a few are sticking around. As money seems to drive almost everything these days, it will be an interesting few years ahead for pro cycling.