Old 01-21-07, 09:27 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
You can still ask for paper bags. If you bring them back every time, some stores will give you a re-use credit (a few cents per bag). I usually take a duffel bag with me so I don't need to use wasteful plastic bags, although I do occasionally let them bag the groceries up, because those plastic bags are good for carrying my muddy shoes into the office, or for protecting my dress shoes on my rack on a rainy day.

Xtracycles can carry a whole person as a passenger, I'd be willing to bet as long as your rear wheel/tire could handle the weight, you could probably load 200+ pounds on it without ill effect. Maybe even closer to 300. Hope you don't have many hills to climb, though.

BTW the Xtracycle FreeRadical kit as shown (with the snap deck, bags and stuff) runs about $400. If you just want the frame that extends the wheel out, it's $224. Both kits come with all the parts needed for a tool-handy person (or your bike shop technician) to install it, including longer chain, cables, and other stuff.

http://www.xtracycle.com/hitchless-t...-kits-c-4.html

I'm in the very urbanated Toronto here. I do have tools as long as I don't need special tools to attach the extention. I wonder if they ever have any sales for the Xtracycle. It does cost a lot but I guess the cost is peanuts compared to the cost of petrol and car insurance yearly. I live in the city which has been labeled (according to the news radio) to have the highest car insurance rates. I think it costs like $5000 CDN/yr in car insurance which is like about $4240 USD/yr so definately even if there isn't a sale you save quite a bit already. I'll have to have my wheels checked out next time I'm at the LBS for how much weight I can put on them.

Is there a way I can check myself to see how much weight my wheels can support? Like without putting the whole dog sled team on it that is. I'm about 5'8" and 140lb in weight. Well from all the stores I've seen here they don't have paperbags unless you're using them to store mushrooms or from the LCBO (liquier store). I'll ask next time I'm at a grocery store if they offer a price discount if you re-use bags. We do have some no-frills stores here that don't give out bags at all to keep costs down but allow you to take any cardboard box they throw up front to keep store and prices down. Those stores are "(owners name) Basics" and "No-Frills". However they only take cash only so if you're short changed you're screwed there if you don't have a debit card. Bags cost 5cents a bag there if you need them.

I don't have a problem with plastic bags as sometimes I like going to some stores because they have good plastic (good waterproof seals) bags which I often re-use for other things or make good use of them as garbage bags in the kitchen. Keeps my costs down from having to buy kitchen garbage bags.

Zero_Enigma